- THE MAGAZINE
- INFO CENTER
Ryder System Inc., a leader in commercial transportation and supply chain management solutions, has published its 2011 Corporate Sustainability Report (PDF, 76 pages). Recognizing that transportation and logistics are the circulatory system of the economy, the Ryder report is themed, “Making Commerce Flow More Efficiently and Sustainably, for Everyone.”
The 2011 report outlines Ryder’s sustainability strategy, which focuses on providing transportation and logistics solutions to companies of all sizes that ease complexity, increase efficiency, and keep goods and materials flowing so that the economy "can grow and thrive."
The report, Ryder’s third since 2008, includes enhanced disclosures and metrics related to the environment, company operations, and the workplace. For the first time, the report includes Ryder executive statements, as well as external stakeholder perspectives from customers, charitable partners, and government agencies about the company’s sustainability performance.
“We have a tremendous opportunity to contribute to the sustainability of our economy because of the nature of our business,” Chairman and CEO Greg Swienton writes in the report. “We’re making more potential customers aware of how working with Ryder benefits them economically and environmentally, and how those benefits cascade throughout society. We prepared our Corporate Sustainability Report to help us get that message out.”
The report discloses Ryder’s approach toward maintaining high standards for corporate governance, innovating for the environment, keeping cargo and supply chains safe and secure, and investing in people and communities. All of Ryder’s contributions to sustainability stem from the same source – the company’s commitment to getting the right results, the right way. Highlights from the report include:
- Deploying a fleet of 240 heavy-duty natural gas vehicles and investing in natural gas vehicle maintenance infrastructure in California, Arizona, and Michigan.
- Launching a new Flex-to-Green lease solution which helps customers jump-start sustainability programs with alternative fuel vehicles.
- Developing a new Green Challenge to help supply chain customers leverage their engagement with Ryder to gain significantly increased environmental benefits.
- Reducing electricity, gas, and water use at all Ryder-owned U.S. and Canada facilities for the third consecutive year.
- Earning the first anti-terrorism certifications for our Asia and Trans-Pacific logistics operations.
- Joining the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Veterans Employment Advisory Council and making a pledge to hire 1,000 military veterans by 2013.
- Implementing a new learning management system to improve employee access to training.
- Launching a new sleep apnea treatment program for all Ryder professional drivers in the U.S.
Increasing Ryder’s total charitable giving for the third consecutive year.