- THE MAGAZINE
The nonprofit Lean Enterprise Institute (LEI) will offer hands-on workshops, Feb 11-14, 2014, on how to apply lean principles in supply chain, logistics, warehousing and distribution processes.
The two workshops will take place at LeanCor’s operations center in Florence, Ky. (near Cincinnati), in order to combine classroom learning with practical, hands-on training. The schedule is:
Go and See the Lean Supply Chain, February 11-12
Attendees will learn how to apply lean principles to logistics and supply chain processes so the improvement process is a win-win for every company along the supply chain. Among the key concepts covered are:
- How to calculate the critical total cost of fulfillment to make decisions that meet customer expectations at the lowest possible total cost, no matter where costs occur in the supply stream.
- How to value-stream map the supply chain to uncover opportunities for cutting costs, lead times, and inventory through the use of lean principles.
- How to develop customer and supplier measurement systems, break down cross-functional barriers, implement pull systems for material replenishment, and establish supply-chain visibility.
Instructor Robert Martichenko, LeanCor CEO, is a lean logistics veteran who received the Shingo Research and Professional Publication Award as co-author of the LEI workbook Building a Lean Fulfillment Stream.
Lean Warehousing and Distribution Operations, February 13-14
Attendees will learn how to implement lean principles step-by-step in warehouse and distribution processes. During three rounds of a hands-on simulation, they will identify lean improvements, implement them, and measure their impact. Among the key concepts covered are:
- How to apply techniques such as lean storage, operational diagramming, workload planning, and visual management.
- How to develop small-batch work assignments, operational diagrams, and a work load plan to create a just-in-time operation based on leveled work, pull, and continuous flow.
- How to create the all-important standardized work for a lean warehouse.
The $1600 price for each workshop includes all participant materials, breakfast, lunch and snacks each day. Complete details about course content, instructors, discounts, and how to register are available by emailing email@example.com or calling (617) 871-2900.