Supply Chain News / Economic Development

U.S. Crude Supply Pushed to More Than 10 Percent of World Total

The United States and Canada are the only major producers of tight oil in the world.

March 26, 2014
Trans

U.S. tight oil production averaged 3.22 million barrels per day (MMbbl/d) in the fourth quarter of 2013, according to U.S. Energy Information Administration estimates. This level was enough to push overall crude oil production in the United States to an average of 7.84 MMbbl/d, more than 10 percent of total world production, up from 9 percent in the fourth quarter of 2012. The United States and Canada are the only major producers of tight oil in the world. In recent years, North American producers have developed technologically advanced drilling and completion processes to produce oil from tight formations.

Tight oil refers to oil found within reservoirs with very low permeability, including but not limited to shale. Permeability is the ability for fluid, such as oil and gas, to move through a rock formation. In February 2014, 63 percent of U.S. tight oil production came from two basins: the Eagle Ford in South Texas (1.21 MMbbl/d, or 36 percent of total U.S. tight oil production), and the Bakken Shale in North Dakota and Montana (0.94 MMbbl/d, or 28 percent of total U.S. tight oil production). Tight oil production in the United States represents 91 percent of all North American tight oil production, with the remaining 9 percent coming from Canada. 

Canada and Russia were the only countries outside the United States that have produced commercial quantities of crude oil from tight formations:

•In Canada, total tight oil production averaged 0.34 MMbbl/d in 2013, close to 10 percent of the 3.52 MMbbl/d of total Canadian crude oil production. This production was concentrated entirely in the country's western provinces of Alberta, Manitoba and Saskatchewan.
•Russia is producing some oil through the use of hydraulic fracturing applied to tight formations, mainly in the West Siberia Basin. The 0.12 MMbbl/d of tight oil produced in Russia in 2013 accounted for 1 percent of its total oil production.

With industry conditions resembling those of North America, Australia and the United Kingdom have the potential to be among the next countries with commercially viable tight oil production. Outside these two countries, there are many examples of energy companies drilling exploratory wells and committing to large investment plans to develop tight oil formations. Many of these formations are located within basins that already produce conventional crude oil in Mexico, Russia, China and Argentina. The Argentine national oil company YPF claimed in their third-quarter 2013 report the production of more than 10,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day from Vaca Muerta in the Neuquin Basin, of which 7,887 barrels per day was crude oil. 

You must login or register in order to post a comment.

Multimedia

Videos

Image Galleries

KC SmartPort Momentum

Kansas City SmartPort Momentum 2013 focused on 3PLs, the issues facing the industry, and the role or logistics in economic development

Podcasts

 

Calculating a true landed cost for global sourcing directly correlates with the profitability of purchased goods. However, few companies can command real-time visibility in to all the costs involved for cross border movements. In this podcast, World Trade 100 and Amber Road highlight how a comprehensive global trade platform that converges both logistics and compliance costs can deliver true landed cost visibility.

 

Speaker: Hung Lee, Senior Product Manager, Amber Road

More Podcasts

World Trade 100 Magazine

wt september 2014

2014 September

Check out the September 2014 edition of World Trade WT100, featuring the 2014 Logistics Directory, plus much more!
Table Of Contents Subscribe

Supply Chain Webinars

What types of supply chain webinars do you get the most use out of?
View Results Poll Archive

WT100 STORE

world-class-warehousing.gif
World-Class Warehousing and Material Handling, 1st Edition

Filled with proven operational solutions, it will guide managers as they develop a warehouse master plan, one designed to minimize the effects of supply chain inefficiencies as it improves logistics accuracy and inventory management - and reduces overall warehousing expense.

More Products

Clear Seas Research

Clear Seas ResearchWith access to over one million professionals and more than 60 industry-specific publications,Clear Seas Research offers relevant insights from those who know your industry best. Let us customize a market research solution that exceeds your marketing goals.

Use our interactive maps to locate service providers across North America.Interactive Map

Logistics Development Partners 

IWLA Members

STAY CONNECTED