Extra Mile

Use Supply Chain Data to Win

Access to data is good, actionable data is better.

With vast amounts of data flowing along extended supply chains, companies that can go the extra mile to integrate business intelligence with the data their supply chains produce can go the extra mile to improve supply chain performance.

A recent study by Grant Thornton LLP and Clear Seas Research examined the state of business intelligence and supply chain decision making. The conclusion was that agile companies that possess data are positioned to compete. But, agile companies that use their data are positioned to win.

  • 54% of all respondents indicate that their company’s data is actionable. But, only 19% of respondents say their data is “completely actionable.”
  • 59% of respondents say they have all or nearly all the information they need to make process improvements and 54% indicate that they have the tools necessary to implement process improvements. 
  • 26% of companies can respond to supply chain pressures in just one week, and 49% can respond within three weeks.
  • However, 45% of companies take one month or longer to respond to supply chain pressures. Nearly one-quarter (22%) take three months or longer.

Just over half (54%) of all respondents rate their company’s data as mostly or completely actionable, but only 19% say their data is completely actionable. This leaves 81% with room for improvement. At the same time, nearly six in 10 respondents say they have most or all of the information they need to make process improvements, and 54% say they have most or all of the tools necessary to implement these improvements. In summary, the data is available and actionable.

One-quarter (26%) of companies can respond to supply chain pressures* and marketplace changes in just one week, and one-half (49%) can respond within three weeks. More than one quarter (29%), however, indicate that it takes at least two months to make changes. This is particularly common with higher-revenue companies, which tend to move more slowly than lower-revenue companies. Only 26% of lower-revenue companies take two months or longer to respond, compared with 38% of companies with revenues over $100 million.

View the Infographic in our Infographics section!

You must login or register in order to post a comment.

Multimedia

Videos

Image Galleries

KC SmartPort Momentum

Kansas City SmartPort Momentum 2013 focused on 3PLs, the issues facing the industry, and the role or logistics in economic development

Podcasts

 

Calculating a true landed cost for global sourcing directly correlates with the profitability of purchased goods. However, few companies can command real-time visibility in to all the costs involved for cross border movements. In this podcast, World Trade 100 and Amber Road highlight how a comprehensive global trade platform that converges both logistics and compliance costs can deliver true landed cost visibility.

 

Speaker: Hung Lee, Senior Product Manager, Amber Road

More Podcasts

World Trade 100 Magazine

world trade july 2014

2014 July

Check out the July 2014 edition of World Trade WT100, featuring Air Cargo, Near Shoring, plus much more!
Table Of Contents Subscribe

Supply Chain Webinars

What types of supply chain webinars do you get the most use out of?
View Results Poll Archive

WT100 STORE

world-class-warehousing.gif
World-Class Warehousing and Material Handling, 1st Edition

Filled with proven operational solutions, it will guide managers as they develop a warehouse master plan, one designed to minimize the effects of supply chain inefficiencies as it improves logistics accuracy and inventory management - and reduces overall warehousing expense.

More Products

Clear Seas Research

Clear Seas ResearchWith access to over one million professionals and more than 60 industry-specific publications,Clear Seas Research offers relevant insights from those who know your industry best. Let us customize a market research solution that exceeds your marketing goals.

Use our interactive maps to locate service providers across North America.Interactive Map

Logistics Development Partners 

IWLA Members

STAY CONNECTED